Dos and Don’ts for Hair Transplant
A hair transplant is a modern treatment that can effectively address male pattern baldness. However, it is a significant procedure that requires an individual to adhere to some dos and don’ts that aim to enhance its effectiveness. While specific dos and don’ts would vary with the person undergoing the treatment, we shall discuss some generic dos and don’ts of hair transplant – before and after in this blog.
What is a Hair Transplant – Types of Hair Transplant
In simple words, a hair transplant involves moving hair to the scalp’s bald regions or thinning areas. It is also known as hair replacement or hair restoration.
As for the types of hair transplant, individuals can choose between FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation). FUE involves taking individual hair follicles from the skin and moving them to another part of the body where the hair is thinner. On the other hand, FUT involves removing a strip of skin usually from the rear or side of the scalp, where hair is genetically resistant to balding. The surgeons then dissect the strip into smaller grafts with hair follicles transplanted into the recipient area.
Dos and Don’ts Before Hair Transplant
Preparing for a hair transplant requires you to adhere to a set of instructions, including the following. Let’s look at some.
Dos Before Hair Transplant
- Wash your hair.
- Have a light breakfast.
- Wear comfortable clothes which won’t require you to pull them over your head.
- Refrain from performing exercises for a week before surgery.
- Take adequate rest to stay fresh.
- Take pre-existing medications as prescribed by the doctor.
- Discuss the entire procedure with your doctor.
- Inform the surgeon if you have breathing problems, if any.
- Have someone accompanying you.
Don’ts Before Hair Transplant
- Avoid alcohol.
- Refrain from dyeing the hair.
- Abstain from consuming supplements without letting your doctor know.
- Stay away from energy drinks and avoid smoking for a minimum of three days.
- Avoid medications unless prescribed by the doctor.
- Keep yourself away from greasy and fatty foods for at least ten days.
- Hold yourself back from having a haircut.
- Resist from taking anti-inflammatory medications for a few days.
- Avoid applying any hair gel or oil while coming for the hair transplant.
Do and Don’ts After Hair Transplant
Here are some dos and don’ts after a hair transplant.
Dos After Hair Transplant
- Have someone drive you home.
- Ask your expert hair doctor for antibiotics.
- Keep your scalp dry on the first day to enable the skin’s healing process.
- Wash your hair gently with a mild shampoo.
- Sleep with your head on your side elevated for a few days.
- Visit the clinic for a couple of days to remove the bandages and wash the hair.
- Wear a hat or a scarf while stepping out in the sun.
Don’ts After Hair Transplant
- Avoid exposing the hair transplant site to harsh weather, excess heat, and direct sunlight.
- Refrain from bathing for at least the first two days.
- Abstain from using an electric shaver to shave your head.
- Avoid doing any strenuous work, including working out, until the wound heals.
- Resist from swimming for a week to prevent the increase in swelling, bruising of hair follicles, and any other damage.
- Avoid covering the wound with a bandage.
- Refrain from sleeping on your back for at least two nights.
- Avoid touching or rubbing the newly grafted scalp.
- Stay away from tight clothes to avoid rubbing grafts against each other.
- Keep yourself away from smoking and drinking for a few days.
So that was about some dos and don’ts for hair transplants – before and after. Visit Reborn if you are looking for more specific insights into hair transplant procedures and the precautions to be taken before and after them. Our experts will answer your questions and guide you comprehensively. Connect with us to book an appointment at any of our clinics in Pune (Baner, Karve Road, and Koregaon Park) or Jaipur.